On Mon, Feb 27, 2012, at 22:30, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> On 02/27/12 19:34, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >
> > If post(), error(), etc. are your examples, then verbose() should have no
> > level argument, just the fmt, then it could post at level 4.  That makes
> > sense to me. If verbose() is meant to post messages at varying levels, then
> > it should use the same numbering scheme as everything else, i.e.
> >

> it's the other way round.
> if you insist on that, then logpost() should have the same numbering
> scheme as everything else:
>   logpost(0)==post()
>   logpost(1)==verbose(1)
>   logpost(-1)==error()

I don't think a numbering range from -2 to 2 makes much sense, like you
suggest here.  Programmers start counting from 0, not -2.  You might
want to double-check the code if you are wondering how everything else
works:

src/s_print.c
  static void dopost(const char *s)
  {
        sys_vgui("::pdwindow::post {%s}\n", strnescape(upbuf, s,
        MAXPDSTRING));

tcl/pdwindow.tcl
  proc ::pdwindow::post {message} {logpost {} 2 $message}

  proc ::pdwindow::verbose {level message} {
      incr level 4
      logpost {} $level $message

The numbers on the Pd window are 0 - 4 and the verbose proc uses "incr
level 4" to add 4 to the level before posting, thereby making its own
level numbering scheme that is off by four from the rest.

.hc