On Dec 4, 2006, at 5:00 PM, Arie van Schutterhoef wrote:

they installed Ubuntu.They were getting very frustrated with this idea
that >they should have to spend weeks figuring out how to get things
working that >worked fine on Windows.
-I spend this summer trying to get Ubuntu work on an iMac and was rather
 astonished by the discovery that it had trouble with something simple
like video-card (ATI) drivers. In the end I gave up... I've got more om my mind than figuring out these kind of things. As long these elementary problems aren't addressed, Linux won't make onto the desktop. As an OS it might be
 suited for servers, but that's where it will probably stay.

That one is a tough one. Its not for lack of people trying. Companies like ATI and NVidia refuse to release the docs to the developers, so they have to reverse engineer things.