Wilfred de Zoete wrote:

Martin Peach schreef:
I found this googling "K8061 protocol", it seems to be source code for a linux driver for the K8061:
http://doip.laupro.nl/browser/doip/k8061/trunk/k8061.c?rev=109
Maybe it could be ported to Mac?
I saw that one too and was thinking about setting up a Linux distro in Virtualbox to try it. The key question for me would remain if that app can communicate real time with PD to use the K8061 as controller.
Anyhow, it's not just a serial interface like Arduino uses.
Correct, it's a bit more advanced and has nice features that in potential can be very powerful... If one can program :P
the dll does all the communication with the card. the pd object, or whatever program, uses commands provided by the dll.
I have read the instructions and the codes of the K8061. Since your external is just a dll if I am right, I will try to explore the possibilities to rewrite it for the 8061.

Well Pd externals for Windows are all dlls. The dll shipped with the 8061 is closed source but at least there is a development kit with a header file:
http://www.vellemanusa.com/downloads/files/downloads/k8061_vistapack_2007v1.zip

I have no knowledge about writing dlls but am a fast learner so I'll take up that challenge.

It should be not too hard to adapt an example program from the sdk to be a Pd external.
http://pdstatic.iem.at/externals-HOWTO/
is the standard reference for Pd externals.

i further think, that when using a virtual os like virtual box or wine, the communication with hardware is handled by the host os. correct me if i'm wrong.
The OS on virtualbox can communicate directly with the installed USB bus.
my humble suggestion, if asked for, was: why not use an arduino? or modify some joystick to your needs and use 'hid'?
I started out with Joysticks and HID in conjunction with USB Overdrive and such but I just want more ins AND outs, analog AND digital. Arduino seems okay but limited as well.

There is now a bigger Arduino:
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardMega

Martin

So the first thing I will explore now is rewriting the dll and testing it on my virtual windows machines (XP and Win7).

Thanks,

Wilfred