On Sep 1, 2009, at 1:08 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

--- On Tue, 9/1/09, Jonathan Wilkes <jancs...@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Jonathan Wilkes <jancs...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [PD] Pd META: Author/Help Patch Authors
To: "Hans-Christoph Steiner" <h...@at.or.at>
Cc: pd-list@iem.at
Date: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 5:47 PM

--- On Tue, 9/1/09, Hans-Christoph Steiner <h...@at.or.at>
wrote:

From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <h...@at.or.at>
To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancs...@yahoo.com>
Cc: pd-list@iem.at
Date: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 4:05 PM

From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <h...@at.or.at>
Subject: Re: [PD] Pd META: Author/Help Patch
Authors
To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancs...@yahoo.com>
Cc: pd-list@iem.at
Date: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 5:00 AM

It is Pd, so I think we should at least make
an
effort to
make things easy to parse in Pd.  I tried
your parser
using data that is probably closer to what
we
might use, and
it didn't work at all.   If someone
can get a
Pd parser working that can handle the commas
well,
then I
would be OK using commas in the meta data
format.

Here's my data:
tags - pure data, frequency modulation,
synthesis

Hi Hans,
     I wouldn't expect my example
to work as a general solution.  If you
want a general solution, I'd be happy to take a
stab
at it, but you
haven't said what you want Pd to do with the
data
example you've provided
above.

Ah, sorry, I thought you'd followed the object_db.tcl
plugin discussion and the [pd META] discussion with
Frank.  Basically, the object_db.tcl plugin builds a
multilevel menu for finding objects based on tags.
I'm
am sure people will think of other uses for the
tags.
Frank suggested using comma separated tags in his [pd
REFERENCE] format, the PDDP group came to the
conclusion
that the meta data should be easily parsable by Pd,
and I
still think that's a good idea.

So the idea is to have every help patch have a [pd
META]
subpatch, and in it, have a comment with tags.

.hc

Oh, ok.  I'll have a look at that discussion.

-Jonathan

Yes, I have seen this discussion.  But I'm still confused: are commas
a problem in tcl?  If not, I still don't understand the problem (see
attached).

<file.pd><parser.pd>

Tcl's not the problem, its Pd's parser. It interprets commas as a separator between messages. Since there isn't an escape mechanism, it means handling commas, semi-colons, etc. is difficult unless you are wanting the behavior of Pd's parser.

If we use commas as the delimiter for individual tags, then just removing the commas means you don't know if you have multi-word tags or just single word tags. So if you have:

        tags - frequency modulation, synth

and its parsed as:

        tags frequency modulation synth

then key information is lost.