This must be something that Tcl/Tk is doing, tying into the system's theme. It could be changed with a one-liner GNU plugin. Here are some examples:

http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/branches/pd-gui-rewrite/0.43/startup/

.hc

On Aug 19, 2010, at 7:32 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:

I have one suggestion to the developers: at least with kde the canvas
has the color of the current theme. It's ok, no problem. Can be
prettier then the ugly old pd, but... the objects also have to have
their color according to it because it somebody likes a dark theme
with dark background he/she will not be able to see the objects
because they are always black.