On Tue, 7 Dec 2010, Jose Luis Santorcuato wrote:

Mathieu Bouchard wrote :
  I don't quite understand why people do motion detection with squares like that. I use a generic motion detection that gets me the centre of the motion, and then when I rescale the values, it may split the possible results into bands or squares because of rounding (if I quantise them).

what is the generic motion detector you are using Mathieu? I use pdp...

I use [t a a] with [# -] or with [# abs-] or even [# sq-]. Then I apply some filters to reduce noise. If I want to have coordinates, I can use [#moment] to find a single centre.

If I want multiple centres, I can use [#labelling] instead of [#moment].

By generic I mean something that lets you make the decisions yourself because you put together very simple components that will do the job you want. In that sense, [t a a] and [# abs-] and [#moment] are simple things... [#labelling] is a more complex component, but you still have to provide your own pre-filtering because it can't take direct camera input in.