On Feb 16, 2011, at 8:27 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

--- On Thu, 2/17/11, Andy Farnell <padawa...@obiwannabe.co.uk> wrote:

From: Andy Farnell <padawa...@obiwannabe.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [PD] FLOSS book Lists chapter
To: "Mathieu Bouchard" <ma...@artengine.ca>
Cc: pd-list@iem.at
Date: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 1:24 AM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:55:24 -0500 (EST)
Mathieu Bouchard <ma...@artengine.ca>
wrote:

I don't see how the sentence « those diagrams are
source code » doesn't
say that there's (almost) a one-to-one
correspondence.

Yikes, I tried running that through De Morgans
What is it you _do_ see there? Or does the law of the
excluded
middle prevent us from straying there? :)

But the one-to-one correspondence isn't exact. I could
make a list of ways
in which it isn't.

Please, a list I'd like to see out of curiosity when you
have a mo.
I thought about that long and hard, mainly it was things
like
ambiguous connections where filaments cross over another
object inlet, or horror of horrors, identical objects
copied
on top of each other and wired in place...I've been caught
out
that way before.

Nevertheless, with a little care, a screenshot can be

made in a way that can be read by someone that can
repatch it if the .pd
file itself has not been published.

I'll be honest it took a _lot_ of care. Out of well over
1000 diagrams
one or two ambiguities have raised peoples annoyance enough
to email
me a "complaint". That's quite a good record I think, but I
spent
many hours re-arranging objects and coords to get clear and
unambiguous
patches. What some recognise as my style now was heavily
influenced by
the writing and the need to have patches unambiguously read
by eyes other
than my own.

1 Don't have wires overlapping object boxes, object xlets, or object text*
2 Avoid horizontal wires

What else is there?

-Jonathan

- good layout to represent the flow of the data
- encapsulation into rational chunks
- and more...