On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Andy Farnell wrote:

The sensitivity of sound to small changes in implementation has been on my mind from the start, so if you like the emphasis was on a reliably portable functional equivalence without code compatability. I have always taken this, perhaps presumptuously, as one of Miller's strong principles. Without it the slogan "The diagram is the program" fails,

When I came up with that slogan, I wasn't thinking about portability nor functional equivalence, and I still don't see how they are related.

Even though portability is nice and functional equivalence is also nice.

« The diagram is the program » only meant that unlike other dataflow diagrams that people may have seen in the context of software engineering, those pd diagrams are source code that can be run as-is. I came up with the sentence while trying to explain pd, because I showed a pd patch and the other person didn't realise that it was not a form of high-level documentation for something else.

and one cannot use Pd to write books, teach or otherwise share datafow programs in a purely visual way.

I'm following even less...

The commercial advantages too, as the RjDj project benefitted from and upheld, are ease of maintenance and widespread compatability across diverse hardware.

Is RjDj using ZenGarden, or LibPd, or both ?