On Jul 16, 2011, at 5:59 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

--- On Sat, 7/16/11, Mathieu Bouchard <ma...@artengine.ca> wrote:

From: Mathieu Bouchard <ma...@artengine.ca>
Subject: Re: [PD] implementing tooltips WAS: Pd-extended 0.43 updates: lots of new editing features
To: "Hans-Christoph Steiner" <h...@at.or.at>
Cc: "pd-list" <pd-list@iem.at>, "Martin Peach" <martin.pe...@sympatico.ca >
Date: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 6:11 PM
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Hans-Christoph
Steiner wrote:

This leads to the question: should tooltip messages be
per-instance or per-class?  It could easily just be a
field with a standard name in each object's struct, then it
would be a simple per-class implementation.  Having an
'assist' method means that the external writer can decide
whether the string is per-class or per-instance.

Yes... whichever is appropriate. But the default
assist-method should be designed so that in most cases,
externals don't need to have a custom assist-method.

I don't see a need to extend any structs, Pd just
needs to call an object's assist method whenever the mouse
is hovering over one of its inlet/outlets,

A default assist-method needs to be storing data somewhere,
and it cannot automatically pickup inlet names from anywhere
in an external's source code. It has to be stored in some
data-structures... For example, in both t_class and t_inlet
(for nonproxy inlets).

Is it possible in c to parse a help file for "OUTLET_0 float symbol"? That's what I'm currently doing (which is trivial on the tcl side).

Actually the way I do it, you parse on the fly only when the mouse hovers over the xlet (which you could toggle with a menu button).

Parsing text in C is definitely possible, just not fun. Its much easier in Tcl.

This is an important point that Jonathan brings up: if
we add an 'assist' method, that could mess up anything that
ever sent a message that started with 'assist'.

Then just do it like it is for savefn and propertiesfn. You
see, it doesn't have to be something that goes through
class_addmethod. The 'assist' symbol issue is not an
argument against defining an assist-method because it could
be a field named assistfn directly in t_class.

What do I have to do to register a new "assistfn"? I don't really understand that part of the source code.

That would require adding the assistfn to the t_class structure.