On Nov 18, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Le 2011-11-18 à 14:20:00, Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>> Obviously, there are objects that are too simple just as there are objects
>> that are too complex.
>
> ok.
>
>> One thing that I think is a valuable goal is making objects that do their
>> thing only using the core atom types as input: bang, float, symbol, list
>> (rather than [get blah( etc.) That's not always possible, like with
>> [textfile], [comport], [hid], etc..
>
> What's not a built-in atom type in there ? [textfile], [comport] and [hid]
> only use built-in atom types. If you mean messages that are not anythings,
> then you have to know that bangs and lists are not atoms, they're messages
> (but list elements are atoms, selectors are symbols, etc).
>
> But I don't know why you consider this to be valuable, nor why you didn't
> talk about it in the last ten years or so, nor why nobody else ever did.

I don't really see a point in continuing this conversation when you consider
whatever I write is all just whitewashing to further my secret agenda.  I
really have no secret agenda, and I'm just trying to communicate.

>> So we can take these concepts, like canvas properties and say: how can I do
>> everything around canvas properties using only bang, float, symbol, list.
>
> You made up the previous principle so that you could promote a design that
> wouldn't otherwise have an advantage of its own.

Why on earth would I do that?

.hc

>>> Do you also think that [expr] should be avoided, for the sake of making
>>> simple objects ? [expr] is a complex thing with complex syntax.
>>
>> I am fine with expr since I can also use [*] [+] [-] [/], etc.
>
> That is not an answer to my question.

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter
is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every
chapter must be so translated.... -John Donne