hello,
Gem is mostly design to work on the GPU, and not on the CPU.
GPU have hundreds of core, they are faster than CPU for image manipulations.

pix_add come from the 20th century and should now be avoid since it use cpu not
gpu ;-)

in order to make a fade transition between 2 videos, you can use transparency
on one video.
add a [alpha] object after Gemhead, and send number between 0 and 1 in the last
inlet of the colorRGB object to make the video appear / disapear.

cheers