I find the data structure deign extremely limited and have been thinking for
years about how to make it more powerful.  I have a rather weak idea about
alowing deletion of individual items in lists that I'm planning to try out in
the run-up to the next release - not that that can help you right now.

(In addition to the manifold problems that others have noted I'll add more
fundamental ones:

fundamentally clunky "pointer" mechanism
difficulty of making numerically accurate changes on visual data structures
(except by escaping to a text represntation ala 'properties' :)

cheers
Miller