On Jul 31, 2013, at 6:00 AM, pd-list-requ...@iem.at wrote:

>>> At the very least, I think "Connect" is a bit confusing. It implies that
>>> there can be an unconnected state when the main purpose of the dialog is
>>> managing which things are connected. Maybe "Apply Settings", "Update
>>> Connection Settings", or even "Update", etc is better.
>>
>> Ok.  I think "Update" or "Update Connection Settings" is probably best.
>
> When would a user want to change a setting but not "apply"? Surely you want
> the actual settings in the backend to always reflect the current state of the
> preferences dialog and vice versa.
>
> best,
>
> Jamie

I think you misunderstand me. Of course the changes should be applied, I'm just
saying I thought the "Connect" button label was a little confusing. "Apply"
would work as well in this case, but I think something like "Update Connection
Settings" etc is more verbose, but also more clear.

What I meant by not having an apply button a few posts ago, was that in most
Mac apps you don't have a 2 step process to change settings aka change then
apply. When you change a setting that's it, it's both changed and updated at
the same time. I do agree with Jonathan that, in this case, it makes sense to
have a 2 step process. I was mainly pointing out I thought the labeling could
be more clear.

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika