----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Brewer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 7:36 PM
Subject: Re: Pentax 67

> Couple of things about the 67II, according to info I have.
Whether
> this makes it worth more than the old 67 or 6X7 is largely a
matter
> of preference.
>
> 1.  The new grip makes it much easier to handle/hold/use
>      (the old 67 had no grip)
> 2.  A 60% brighter finder.
> 3.  User-interchangeable focusing screens on the 67II
>      (Repair station interchangeable screens on the 67)
> 4. Eyepiece shutter built-in
> 5.  Diopter correction built-in
> 6. Beefed up advance mechanism in 67II
> 7. Easier mirror lock up & TIME shutter speed control
>      (for Time exposures without draining batteries)
>
> I have not used a 67/6x7, but I have carried the 67II into the
field
> and it is an absolute joy to use, like a huge improved K1000.
All the
> stuff about the larger negative Bill mentioned is true. I've
been
> tempted a number of times to find a medium format camera for
portrait
> work, even getting close to bartering for one not long ago.

    The old 6x7 can mount a handle on the left side which is a
must have accessory IMO. It does make the camera much easier to
hang on to, but the ergonomics of the 6x7 are not the best. The
brighter finder would be a big improvement, especially in the
studio with modelling (dim) lights. I have always meant to send
mine in for a grid/matte focusing screen, being able to just
change it out myself would be quite handy. Built in dioptre
correction is always nice (for me, they never are strong
enough).
   The film advance is an issue with the 6x7. I don't know if
they did anything about it with the 67. My camera's film advance
went flaky after shooting about 50 rolls of T-Max when it first
came out (the first run of it was like cardboard going through
the camera), and required a fairly expensive adjustment. Since
then, I have pretty much not used T-Max (awful stuff anyway)
with it, and have had the transport adjusted once more during a
routine maintenance. I had the FP socket wired parallel to the
X-socket at the same time.
    The mirror lock and time exposure on the 6x7/67 drain the
batteries pretty fast. A fresh silver oxide battery is good for
about 6 hours of time exposure, according to the manual.
    I do find myself using the 135 macro lens for close
portraits because of (not) close focus distances. The 165mm lens
with the #1 extension tube makes for a nice focus range for
portraits, and the 165 or 200 with the #2 tube do really nice
tight head shots. Often I like to shoot portraits from chin to
hairline with the 6x7. Most of the people I scrutinize this way
don't really like the images (not necessarily the most
flattering), but I often like the results.

> Ideally, I believe I'd love the 67II and the old 200/4.

The old 200 f4 is a sweet lens ( I don't own one, but I have one
available from a friend. It is lovely for portraits.
William Robb