Chaso,
    I was married last August, so maybe I can give you a
few pointers:

>1.  What should I look for in a photographer?
>Are there any essential questions I should ask?
>Are there any warning signs of bad photographers?  Of
>course, viewing the past work is always important, but
>it is often not clear (especially in larger firms)
>precisely who took the photos one is viewing, or
>whether one will be able to secure that particular
>photographer.

Make sure you see the work of the particular photographer
you will have.  Speaking from recent experience, their
styles can vary a lot (I actually preferred my
photographer's style to the owner's).  Also make sure
you know what is included in your package: number of photos
and album pages, how long you will have him/her (and what
extra time will cost), whether a studio sitting is included
(e.g. for engagement photos), if black and white is extra,
etc.  It can also help a lot if they are familiar with
the location (or will visit it before hand).

>What is important to specify to the
>photographer I end up employing?

Any photos you or your fiance absolutely must have, and
any preferences for color, black and white, etc.  Also,
what type of album you prefer (more formal, or a more
spontaneous "photjournalistic" style).  Any good
photographer should ask you these things, anyway.
We wanted plenty of spontaneous photo's (emotion, dancing,
etc.) but didn't want him to be intrusive, and we told him
so.  We hardly knew he was there.

>2.  Is it important that the photographer use
>medium format?  I know this topic has been debated a
>bit before.  Some have said that medium is essential
>(at least for stills); whereas, others have argued
>that this is only important if one is intending to
>enlarge beyond 8x10, and that 35mm cameras are
>generally more capable in regards to capturing
>movement with advanced autofocus.

I believe medium format makes a real diffeence.  There is
a quality to the med. format prints that just lacks
with 35mm, even at moderate enlargements.  The 10x10's
in our album have such smooth tonal quality, they really
are breathtaking.  And our photographer used medium format
extensively for the casuals and candids (dance photo's,
etc.).  35mm was only used for the really low light stuff,
when flash was not appropriate.  I think it actually just
depends on the abilities of your photographer.

Let me know if you have any more questions, and I'll try
to answer them as best I can.

Richard Holman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Massachusetts Institute of Technology