<<
 1.  What should I look for in a photographer?

First of all you should be comfortable with his/her personality.  You don't
want to spent the happiest day of your life with a grumpy photographer
bossing you and your family and friends around.

 Are there any essential questions I should ask?

Check their experience level so you can feel comfortable trusting these
important shots to him/her.
 Are there any warning signs of bad photographers?  Of
 course, viewing the past work is always important, but
 it is often not clear (especially in larger firms)
 precisely who took the photos one is viewing, or
 whether one will be able to secure that particular
 photographer.

Ask to see a set of shots one ENTIRE wedding from the photographer.  If all
they have are a few great shots from different weddings, then you might be
concerned about their overall ability.  Anyone can set up lighting for
formals and get it right, but can they handle candids as well?

 What is important to specify to the
 photographer I end up employing?

Let them know what is important to YOU.  Do you prefer more formal shots, or
do you like more spontaneous candids?  And then you and he can decide if he
is right for your tastes.

 2.  Is it important that the photographer use
 medium format?

Frankly, no, BUT medium is better for formals that may require bigger
enlargements.  However this is rarely an issue -- good 35mm is perfectly
acceptable

visit http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions.