----- Original Message -----
From: "Bolo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Pentax Discuss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2001 5:56 PM
Subject: A great body ... too bad it is not by Pentax

> The N1 has a reasonable set of features, and capabilities, some
> quite "professional" level in modern body parlance.  The body
> has "traditional" shutter speed, compensation, etc controls like
> the MZ-5n has.   It has a 1/8000 shutter and 1/250 flash sync.

Its 1/250 via hot shoe and 1/125 via PC socket.

> It has an optional data back that can print data between frames,
> as the MB-23 for the Nikon F4 does.  Or collect all the exposure
> data and place it on a "index" frame.  There is an optional-extra
> digital LCD viewfinder that you can use to preview the image.
> And, it can be used on or off (via cable) camera.  There are some
> new features this body has, such as "focus bracketing", which will
> bracket around the DOF of the lens at the distance it is focused
at.
> It has 5 autofocus sensors, placed at the traditional 1/3 points
> of the image, and one in the center.  Oh yes, and it has
interchangeable
> viewfinder screens.
>
> There are some downsides.  This AF body can't use the lenses of
> the previous Contax AF SLR body.  However, there is an auto-focus
> adaptor for the Contax 6x45 SLR lenses.  No auto-focus-bracket,
though,
> as those lenses lack the DOF info at the digital level (my best
guess).

It can't use lenses from previous Contax AF SLR, because it (Contax
AX) was a weird contraption that achieved autofocus by moving film
plane.

> The review mentioned, BTW, that the "street" price tag that isn't
> outrageous, $1300 or so.  And it is available.

Did the review mention the cost of lenses?  The cheapest is the $600
50/1.4 and the rest are well over $1000.  And there are only 4
lenses (2 more on the way).  Ability to use 645 lenses isn't that
much of a bargain.  How many people can afford to fork over $5800
for the privilege of using a 350/4 tele.

> I just read the article of this equipment, by a company that is
less
> known in the SLR market than Pentax.  And I couldn't believe the
kind
> of stuff they "got right".  And all Pentax might have in a couple
of
> months is a MZ-S which doesn't really compete with this?

Contax is extremely well known in the SLR market.  In fact Carl
Zeiss originally wanted Pentax to develop an SLR for them.  The
result of that collaboration is the K mount.  Carl Zeiss eventually
chose Yashica to make the cameras.  When Yashica went belly up,
Kyocera took over and they make Contax cameras today.  Contax may
not be competing in the mass market, but it certainly a well known
SLR line.

> Yikes!   This is the kind of vitality and innovation that I would
> hope to see in a body from Pentax.  I hope Pentax does something
> soon.  The MZ-S seems to be way behind the power curve.

What exactly is so innovating aboutN1?  Or are you using Bill Gates'
definition of the word?  All the things you've mentioned have been
done before, and at much lower cost.  But that's just me.  Others
may find an SLR with 2 slow zooms irresistable for $4000.

go to http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions. Visit the PUG at
http://pug.komkon.org.