Dan Scott wrote:

> What is the hassle factor with adjusting the pod for height? I
> guess I'm thinking primarily about insects and other quick moving things.
> How does it work out, do you carry it around with camera attached and pod
> extended or collapsed or what?

The standard monopod is not very fast to adjust and it's a matter of
getting used to snap the last lock in place at the right moment, but
this lets you with just a single section adjustment freedom. Not enough
for standup-low level fast change.

BTW my Manfrotto 479 is quite tall even closed, about 60 cm./2 feet or
more, not very useful for ground level shots. On the other hand there's
a nice accessory you can use with the monopod which converts it to a low
tripod. It's a kind of metal bipod base with a small ballhead on top.

Bogen/Manfrotto has a modopod which can be adjusted from
a lever or button  just under the head. You depress it and adjust the
height then release it and the thing lock in place.
It's the 334B/3245. You can look at:

http://www.manfrotto.com/products/metric/botfot3.html?menu=botfot2.html&menu1=botfot2.html&sectionid=2&subsectionid=3&categoryid=9&subcategoryid=99&man_code=334B&company=MNO&doc_from=gerarchia&contatore=primo

there's no way it will fit into a single line so you'll have to do some
cut&paste, I'm afraid.

Flavio
visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.