Norman Baugher responded to:
> Shel Belinkoff asked:
> > but what have you found that gives you the blackest
> > background under most, if not all, lighting conditions?
> Valentin's cave? <G>

Actually, that brings up an interesting, though not always
feasible, point:  Any background too far away to reflect
your flash, in a really dark location.  For my PUG self
portrait, I used the light grey building across the street
as my backdrop -- chosen for being far enough away not to
count.

                                        -- Glenn

visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.