----- Original Message -----
From: "dosk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 12:22 AM
Subject: OT: A head for a monopod?

> Can one operate effectively with the camera screwed directly onto
the top of
> a monopod, or would this be too rigid and awkward? (As I
suspect...)

Absolutely, get a small ballhead.

> And if this is not a good idea, then what would some of you
recommend as a
> head for a monopod? Right now I'm thinking I'd like a ball head
rather than
> a pan because of the compactness of size. This head would probably
be
> strictly for the monopod and would not be switched to a tripod, so
I don't
> want anything too elaborate.
> Can someone recommend a ball that they're using now with good
results?

I really like Bogen 3413QR (Manfrotto 308RC).  Easy to use and
clean.  Depending on the monopod, you may need 1/4" to 3/8" adapter
to mount the head.  Under $50.  Also available without quick
release.

For lightweight duty, it can be used on a tripod as well.

visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.