Went to another site (Asahi Optical Historical Club), where they said that "one of
the theories" (or words to that effect) is that "Pentax" is from PENTAprism
refleX, but that that one is the most likely.  The Unofficial Asahi Pentax
Spotmatic Home Page seems to be of the opinion that PENTAprism asahifleX is more
likely.

Until I hear otherwise, I guess I'll have to defer to the Pentax corporate page,
who proposes the former.  Interesting, though.  Probably aren't too many people
still around who were there at the time the name was thought up.  Not that it
matters much...

regards,
frank