Hi,
in Photo Magazin I once read that at first Pentax was not allowed
to sell cameras in Germany under the name Pentax because Pentacon
claimed that Pentax name was to close to their's Pentacon. To
refrase it, the derivated name "Pentax" had to similiar origin to
"Pentacon". It happened in mid sixties, if I remember correctly. It
lasted few years long until they obviously setled for some solution.

Ciao, Matjaz

> Frantisek wrote:
> I can't find how Pentax named their line... Pentax.
> When was it first used? It seems to me to be an abbrev. of
> Pentaprism Contax, the famous Carl Zeiss pentaprism camera (which
> gave name to Pentacon made by Carl Zeiss Jena affiliated company,
> which invented the M42 mount -PENTAprism CONtax). So did Pentax just
> "steal" Pentacon's name idea, or is there some other word behind it?
> Just curious, sorry ;)
>
> Frantisek

Matjaz Osojnik, B.Sc.M.E.
Hajdrihova 4, IBE, d.d., 1000 Ljubljana