Bob S. wrote:

BS> Someone pointed out that Pentax is dropping SMC as a selling point.
BS> Does anyone think this is related to re-badging other makers lenses?
BS> If Pentax re-badges a Cosina lens, is SMC coated glass used?

    Bob, all rebadged lenses, be it Tamron or Cosina, are clearly
  labeled SMC. It would be quite offensive to print SMC on a glass
  that has nothing in common with SMC, would it!?
    Moreover, assuming they are indeed SMC, then we can conclude any
  third party manufacturer is capable of coating glass with SMC
  layers, and this only adds to the initial confusion: why isn't SMC
  widely used if it's free and technologically affordable?

BS> If not, your marketing department might want to de-emphasize SMC,
BS> just let the more sophisticated users (read old farts like us) know this.

   Why depreciate your entire product range? It would really make
 sense to differentiate between SMC and non-SMC lenses, just like
 they did with Takumars 20 years ago.

   Servus, Alin

visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.