----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Walkden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2001 9:58 AM
Subject: Re[2]: OT: Mosque photos (was : Have you ever shot at or
above 1/2000th sec and...

Dear Bob,
                I wrote  to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

the following explanation and will copy it here for you. Please
excuse my
possible mistakes in writing English:

Sorry, if I did not know the correct english word: mosque for
our german *Moschee*.

Suda Mafud, you asked me:

> << were people in the mosque aware of you taking photographs?
><<  If so, were
> people included in the photographs and how did they react?
         This is something
> I've wanted to do for a long time, but have been rather nervous
> about,  because of Islamic sensitivities about representations of
the
          human figure.

My answer:
Usbekistan belonged to the former Sowjet Union and now it is
a free country for its own. But no islamic republik in its
customs...
In the former Sowjet Union churches
and mosques where transformed to museums, *did not work*,
as the official saying was ...
Today official the same status exist and people are
mostly groups of tourists, twenty years ago and today.

> It is usually security in Islamic countries that stop you. But he
said: in a
> islamic moshee...

I hope I made it clear to you: Your problem don't exist in
Usbekistan. The faithfull people may enter in this *museums*,
but only in very few
mosques are today services held and there you may not enter today.

> The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the nations of Iraq and Iran are the
> most fundamental of the so-called "Middle East" states
> and are the most adamant
> about tourists taking pictures than others, say Indonesia. Taking
> pictures in either of the former countries may get your gear
> confiscated by police or other security.

OK, but I never travelled there.

Kristian - H. Schuessler

Bob, you are right, I'm a German and don't speak Arabic:

> I assumed that 'moshee' (from Arabic 'masjid') was meant to be
> 'mosque' since the original correspondent is not a native English
> speaker. If it's something different I'd like to find out - I
can't
> find the word 'moshee' in my dictionary.

Cheers,
Kristian- Heinrich from Black Forest in Germany

visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.