Hi ...

I've an old Marchioni Bros. Tiltall, and you're right, there is
a bit of a "pad" that should be on the head.  I believe my unit
has the original pad, although with something this old one can
never be 100% certain.  However, it looks  just like the pads
I've seen on other known originals.  According to my caliper,
the pad is only  a scosh more than a millimeter thick.

Get a small piece of rubber that will fit over the head, cut it
to size and shape, punch a hole in the center, and you should be
fine.  Another option, although not quite as solid, is to use
the little circular disk that comes with new cameras, which is
placed between the camera body and tripod head.  In any cae,
it's not too  hard  to find something of the appropriate
thickness and make a shim or a spacer.
--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]