I once owned a SMC-M* 300mm f/4.0 and later sold it to buy a SMC-K 200mm
f/2.5, which I think is more useful for my purposes.

However, I do miss not having the SMC-M* 300mm.  The lens produced photos
with great color rendition and sharpness, not that the SMC-K 200mm is
a poor performer by any means, but I sometimes need more reach.  I am
going to start looking for either an M* or A* 300mm, but was wondering
if anyone has compared these two lenses (I believe they probably perform
the same) to the SMC-K 300mm.

The K version always seems to sell for less, but if it performs comparable
to the M* or A*, this lens may be a better buy, even though it weights
more.

Thanks!

--
Jose R. Rodriguez