"dosk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Okay, I know what the Pentax F, FA, A, and M lenses are, and how
they mount
> onto what, and what they do....
>
> But what does Takamur mean? Do lenses so designated also mount on
a ZX type
> k-mount?
>
> And what about the stuff I see on KEH that says SMC only. No other
> designation, such as A, F, M, etc.  Are these screw mount lenses
that
> require an adaptor
> for a ZX k-mount?

If a K mount lens does not have M, A, F, or FA designation, it is
simply one of the original K mount lenses.  Its mount is identical
to M, but the lenses are somewhat larger and more likely to use 52mm
filters than 49mm.

Takumar was the original lens name for all Pentax lenses.  Much like
Nikkor is the brand name for Nikon lenses.  These screw mount lenses
are usable on most Pentax K mount cameras with an adapter.  With the
introduction of K mount, Takumar name was dropped and all lenses
were labeled simply SMC Pentax.  Than, just to make things
confusing, Pentax resurrected the name for a budget line of lenses.
These were called Bayonet Takumar.  These were often similar
optically to SMC Pentax lenses, but without multicoating and
construction was not up to the same standard.  The line was later
expanded to include Takumar A, and Takumar F lenses.  IF you weren't
confused already, Pentax used yet another brand name for budget K
mount lenses: Cosmicar.  Now Cosmicar is used on Pentax CCTV gear.

> Reason I ask is I saw some 24mm f2.8 lenses there, marked only
SMC. A little
> expensive, at 2C's, so I would want to ascertain their
compatability with my
> ZX-M before I even considered them...

All lenses labeled Pentax are compatible with ZX-M.  If it doesn't
have A aperture setting, you will not have program and shutter
priority modes.