On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 13:28:28 -0500, dosk wrote:

>But what does Takamur mean? Do lenses so designated also mount on a ZX type
>k-mount?

OK, I will give this a shot. Where I'm not correct someone will step in for sure :-)

Most Takumars you will see are the screw-mount lenses.
The older ones are simply called Takumar while most multi-coated ones
are called "Super Takumar".

You can use the screw-mount lenses on your K-body with an adapter, but
you loose all automatic features including open-lens metering.

Now, to complicate things, well into the K-mount era Pentax decided to
re-use the Takumar name for some lesser quality (consumer grade)
K-mount lenses. Mainly zooms I think.
I think most of these do not have the (SMC) multi-coating.
They are usualy sold in a combo with a body ...

>And what about the stuff I see on KEH that says SMC only. No other
>designation, such as A, F, M, etc.  Are these screw mount lenses that
>require an adaptor
>for a ZX k-mount?

I would think they are plain K-mount lenses, I don't think the SMC name has
been used on screw-mount lenses but I am not sure.

Some sellers don't really know the difference between plain "K", "M" and "A",
or between "F" and "FA" either, so lack of any designation doesn't say it all ...

Regards, JvW