"Dennis Klimovich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My guess is that under similar use, the metal lens mounts
> will last
> substantially longer than plastic ones.
> ---
> Sorry, what do you mean with longer? 300 years longer than
> 250?

Well, if you just mount one cheap zoom lens onto it, the plastic
mount may last 1,000 years.  But then why bother with
interchangeable lens SLR.  If you keep changing lenses, the plastic
may not hold up as well.  And if you keep mounting lenses that cut
grooves into it, the plastic mount may not hold up beyond a year or
two.

I'm not opposed to judicious use of plastics in cameras, but lens
mount and other stress points aren't the place to do it.