At 00:40 5.2.2001 -0600, you wrote:
>I have seen Pentax and Metz flashes discussed and compared here as well as
>in the archives and FAQs, but other brands have barely been mentioned. Metz
>seems to be the favorite.
>
>What are your experiences (if any - maybe they're lousy products) with
>Sigma, Sunpak and Vivitar?
>
>Maris

I have a Sunpak flash, the AT555 (or G4500DX in my part of world). It's a
big (potatomasher) but very good flash, with almost same range of
accessories as Metz. I got it for about 1/3 (!) of 45 CT-x used, and it's
comparable with the Metz. Only problem is that I can't get most of the
accessories where I live (they stopped importing it), so I don't have yet
the TTL pentax module.
But even on Auto, it's a wonderful flash, with ability to set almost any
f/stop in auto (it has 7 auto modes! the fastest aperture settable in A
mode is 1.4 with 100 film! Most Metz flashes have only 2 or 2.8 or more -
the 45CL series has even less I think. Good for those fill-in with fast
film and wide aperture). I built a battery pack for it, so I can shoot
happily hundreds of full manual shots from one battery. Only thing I think
comparable series Metz flashes have better is the bracket - Metz's bracket
has one more slot into which the flash can be inserted parallel with the
bracket, for easy & nice vertical shots.

Also, sunpak does few flash types not seen anywhere else, e.g. Macro flash
(ringlight) with up to 77mm filter dia lenses, with 4 modeling lights!
(only other flash with modeling light I can think of is the new announced
Pentax flash). Also nice is TTL, hotshoe, barebulb flash (with attachable
studio-type reflectors), with enough GN and TTL ability for a very small
and very portable studio.

Only problem with the AT555/G4500DX is that the TTL adapter for Pentax is
analog only (so it doesn't AFAIK support second curtain flash or contrast
control. Propably)

Frantisek