Hi Flavio,

>tomorrow I'm going to buy myself a new tripod. The choice is the 055PRO
>(former 455, Bogen #3021PRO), the one which offers the ability to mount
>the central column horizontally.

Good choice! I have the older model, with a fixed central column (055NAT)

>I thought I'd take the Proball head (468RC, Bogen 3435QR) and get both
>precision and mobility but I discovered that this head is not
>reccommended with the tripod and (more important) is way out of my
>budget since it costs about twice the tripod.
>
>The remainig options are: the smaller 308RC (Bogen 3413QR) ballhead or
>the older 168 (Bogen 3055). I think I remember not very good comments
>about the last one and the first looks a bit too light for my liking.

Actualy I bought a ball-head last week that I like, it is the 352RC, not too heavy
but it will take upto 4kg of equipment. (should hold the Z1 + 2.8 300mm)
It is called a midi-head and cost is about US $45

There is also a slightly cheaper version without the quick-release stuff.

>Do you have any experience or advice?
>Should I look at standard 3-way heads?

I would, for macro work I prefer to use the Manfrotto 141 head, it is simple
but sturdy and gives much more control over your composition than a
ball-head does because you can work on each of the three movements
separatly.

The disadvantage is that is is a little bigger than a ball-head.

There is also an 141RC that has the quick-release built in.

>The tripod will be used mainly for macro shots, then landscape photos
>and very little studio.

Regards, JvW