Recently Jan van Wijk wrote:

> >Do you have any experience or advice?
> >Should I look at standard 3-way heads?
>
> I would, for macro work I prefer to use the Manfrotto 141 head, it is simple
> but sturdy and gives much more control over your composition than a
> ball-head does because you can work on each of the three movements
> separatly.

I can confirm this too.  I use the simplest Bogen tripod and the simplest
3D head (I do not have the model numbers in my head), and I like the 3D
head a lot (better than a ball-head).  I shoot mostly macro, so quickness
is not my primary concern.  Because of that I can live without a quick
release, but I still miss it, and I am thinking of buying one of the quick
releases that one screws on top of the head permanently.

Cheers,
Boz