Okay, the FM2 has a 1/200th sync speed.

The FM2*n* has a 1/250th sync speed (I didn't know that).

None of the FM2 shutters have electronic control that allows AE (automatic
exposure).

The FE cameras (and many others) have electronic control for AE, but don't
work without batteries--i.e., they're not mechnical shutters.

A number of cameras have electronically-controlled shutters that have backup
mechanical speeds. This might be one single shutter speed or it may be many.

However, *those* cameras don't have high sync speeds (what's the sync speed
on the LX? I have no idea, but based on vintage alone I'd guess 1/60th or
1/90th--am I right?).

Furthermore, none of those cameras has mechanical backup speeds at *all*
speed settings. Prototypes have had this in the past, but again, none had a
high sync speed or high top speed.

The FM3A shutter is the only shutter that has: 1. high top speed (1/4000th);
high sync speed (1/250th); electronic timing for AE; and mechanical
operation at all speed settings. If you think there is another one out
there, NAME IT. It doesn't exist.

To me, this means that the principle interest of the FM3A is its shutter.

I didn't say the FM3A was a perfect camera.

I didn't say I liked Nikons.

I didn't say the FM3A was better than this or that Pentax.

I didn't say Nikon is better than Pentax.

I didn't say that mechanical backup at every speed is a critically needed
feature.

And, please, I want to stop talking about this now. I made a few innocent
statements about the new Nikon and I've been having to qualify and defend
every statement I made ever since. *I*don't*care* enough about this to put
this kind of energy into it, okay?

It's so much easier simply to exhort people to buy more lenses....

Exit, stage left,

--"X"