Peter,

I agree whole heartedly, my first 35mm was a H1a.  The clip-on
meter on that camera broke right after I got it.  I spent the next two
years learning to use it relying at first on other external meters and
later on my own estimates.  It gave me a more "critical" eye to the
exposures on my later, meter equipped cameras.  I was and still
am willing to "override" the cameras judgement.

Here's another PUG theme for you, ( If it hasn't already been done.
) pictures taken with exposures done by eye on manual ( If the
camera supports it. ).  Sort of a "Un-Plugged" theme, like some of
the recent acoustical albums.

My $.02 worth.

Mark " An old Screwhead" Gosdin