Bob Walkden wrote:

> But just as there
> are some people who really use Land Cruisers rather than Ferraris for
> rough-tough macho purposes, so there are some photographers who do need
> battery-free failsafe camera operation, and I cite myself as an example.

<snip>

> Before they were stolen I used 3 LXs + 3 winders, and before that I
> used for one trip a Super-A with a motor drive. These cameras all took
> AA batteries, and lots of them. I got through batteries at one helluva
> rate, especially with the motor drive. If I'd had enough batteries to
> last the duration of the trip it would have cost a great deal more
> money, which I prefer to spend on film, and would have massively
> increased the bulk of the stuff I had with me. I would rather not have
> that bulk, or use it for film rather than batteries.

Bob...the FM3A's winder is unlikely to be fully mechanical. :)

Methinks you need to rethink your argument.  A76s are small and cheap,
and the LX doesn't exactly eat them.  If you need the motor drive you
need the motor drive, but then you'd need a motor drive for the FM3A, too.

-Aaron

p.s. I agree with you anyways: some people need and want full mechanical
operation.  It's something that I want more than I need, and I've
considered an MX to back up my LX, but until I'm headed somewhere where
batteries are scarce, I'm not going to buy one (unless one falls into my lap).