In a message dated 2/13/01 9:33:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I was made well aware of my presence after a snide glance from the
choir-master
 of a large (100+) choir after made a few shots with the LX sans winder/motor
a the peak of a crescendo where I thought it couldn't possibly be heard. >>

He, like a predator, probably noticed your movement. It is unlikely he heard
your shutter. If you were shooting verticals sans winder, your elbow swinging
awkwardly over your LX would be a terrible distraction, as any photographer
shooting elbow high looks oddly uncomfortable to onlookers.
The vertical release/booster for the MZ-S is probably a lot quieter than an
LX or Motor "A" in full howl.
*TEST: Turn on some soft classical music. Set the self-timer on your body.
Take the lens off. Release the shutter and look at the blinking red light (if
any) as the shutter trips. Set the timer again, but this time, turn your back
to the camera. The first shot will be louder than the second.
Lastly, play some loud Jazz/Country/Soul music with lots of bass.
You won't hear a thing. The only reason you'll be conscious of any possible
shutter noise is when the blinking red light stops.

Mafud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]