Assuming the claim for the MZ-S to have LX durability, this could be
Pentax attempt for a film SLR that will achieve cult status over an
extended period of time. Why? Because Pentax did not leave out any
major photograph-capturing features.

Pros:
Excellent feature set - no major Achilles heels like lack of DOF
preview or lack of mirror pre-fire (with a nod to Mike and others who
are disappointed with the viewfinder, and to those who wanted 1/250
flash sync).

Reportedly solid construction and long shutter life.

Relatively small size and weight.

Vertical grip available.

Ability to use K-mount lenses and later.

Really useful features like mid-roll exchange and data imprinting.

List priced slightly below the direct competition, as usual for
Pentax.

Although my first impression was reserved, I think the MZ-S will be a
big hit, especially with the love-factor crowd who see a camera as a
class act in addition to a photo tool.

I can envision the salespeople at Arlington Camera. They sell a lot of
near-list-price mid-range Canon and Nikon, and also sell a lot of
Pentax 35mm cameras. The let customers handle several cameras in a
price range. They do a good job of matching people to a suitable
camera (rather than pushing the high-profit cameras).The next Doctor
or Lawyer or Engineer's wife/husband/significant-other who wants the
very best may be bowled over when they handle the MZ-S compared to an
F80 or F100 or EOS 3 etc..

One thing I like about Arlington Camera is that their resident Canon
and Nikon experts know exactly what I mean when I tell them I won't
switch to Canon because I don't want those crappy over-rated Canon
lenses, nor switch to Nikon because you gotta spend two grand for a
body just to get basic features available in a $500 Pentax...
--
Happy Trails,
Texdance