From: Tom Rittenhouse [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 11:18 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MZ-S hands on!

Darren & Tara Sutherland wrote:

> Everyone I've talked to who have held it claim that it is indeed Magnesium
> Alloy, however, that there seems to be a thick layer of
> lacquer/paint/anodization...whatever it is that they've slapped on to the
> supposed metal shell.  Do you know if it was semi-operational
pre-production
> or fully operational production model?

It was one of a hand assembled pre-production run.  Everything I
tried seemed to work.  I would think the the full production
camera would be mechanically the same, but there may well be
some software tweaking before it hits the streets.

The plasticy stuff could well be a coating on metal. Actually I
hope not, the film plane, mirror box, ground glass, and lens
mount need the
dimensional stability and rigidity of metal.  The outside that
gets kicked around by the environment is better off if made from
tough modern super polymers.  I mean if it is good enough for a
hockey puck <grin>.

Addendum: The spec sheet does say the top and bottom covers are
die cast magnesium, so it must be a powder coat type finish.

> Darren
>
> PS. Tom, what exactly did your rep tell you about the A35 f1.4?  I think I
> missed that post.

Basically, that I had hallucinated the one I thought I had once
held in my hands.  In other words he could find no reference to
it.