On 12/9/02 8:07 AM, mike wilson wrote:

> Boris wrote:
>> They predict that in few years you would be able to run your
>> laptop for 10 hours straight and all you'd need do to recharge it
>> would be to replace a small container with some fluid that would be
>> sold for few pennies everywhere...
>
> And 50 years ago, in the UK, they said that nuclear power would
> be so cheap it would not be worth charging for it.  That was
> before an unknown number of people were engulfed in the
> radioactive plume from the Sellafield fire in the late 1950's.
> The idea of portable nuclear power supplies sank without trace.
> As I am one of the "plumees", I trust you will forgive my
> scepticism.

I'm not sure of the exact demonstration Boris mentions, but he refers to
either gas-powered microturbine or fuel cell technology. In either case, the
"fluid" is simply methanol or a similar fuel. Fuel cells have been around
for some time but have been slow to reach the marketplace, IMO because
there's little incentive for industries to change to a technology that has a
very low consumable cost. It's also an expensive technical feat to
productize these concepts. Fuel cells are relatively uncomplicated and
environmentally friendly; nuclear power and chemical batteries are, of
course, not.

For more info, see:

<http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=3730>
<http://www.fuelcells.org/>

Or use google to search for "fuel cells".