On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 05:59  PM, Michael Cross wrote:

Dan,

Portra 800 has become my default indoor available light/flash film. I use 160 NC outdoors and Portra 800 indoors. I acutally prefer 800 to the 400NC (35mm) which I really don't like at all. I am stunned that this is an 800 speed film. I actually shoot it at 640, but it has a great deal of exposure latitude. I had some shots where my flash did not fire in a very dark room and my lab was able to get perfectly acceptable exposures anyway.

I think the colors are very nice with 800. Maybe somewhere between 160 NC and 160 VC in terms of saturation. The grain has a nice, soft impressionistic feeling to it.

Try it, its really nice :-)

Michael Cross

Hi Michael,

I'll give it a try at 640.

Portra 160NC is just a beautiful thing, isn't it? <g> It's funny, I used to use 400 speed film for everything, but now next to nothing. I wonder if it's common for other people too?

Thanks,

Dan Scott