<< >  I would say generally that mirrors are never quite going to perform
like
 > regular lenses, however if you can provide a stable platform that will
help
 > considerably.

 You know, I've seen this opinion expressed many times.  It's a very
 common opinion within photographic circles.  I've even fallen under its
 spell, though I have no experience with "mirror" lenses. >>

Doug. In my experience they seem to lack contrast. Also I think folks with
less photographic experience than those here might be tempted to use the lens
hand held - given the low weight that is a likely possibility. Then there's
the cumulative effect of hand holding a lens of (relatively) limited
aperture.

I have used the Canon 500mm F8 (FD), Nikon 2000mm F11, Sigma 600mm F8, Tamron
350 and 500mm SP lenses.

The nice thing about the Tamrons is (somebody else made this point) the great
close focus.

Kind regards

Peter