>The "problem" with AF lenses (most of them anyway) is
that they are AF lenses; loose,
>rattly, and focuses past infinity. Unfortunately,
I've discovered that initially
>"tight" AF lenses develop looseness over time. It may
well be that some newer AF
>designs are potentially beter optically, but getting
the best out of them is more of a
>hassle.

I have noticed this too but I do not think that the
degree of looseness is a measure for the degree of
durability. I think they are designed to become looser
with use (to keep friction as low a possible). Once
they have become loose it stays like this.

However,there is a big difference between built
quality among the various AF lenses. You have to pay
much for built quality (I estimate that today a lens
with a built quality comparable to that of the
K-lenses is at least 4-5x more expensive than it was
in the eighteens).

Older, MF lenses are built to last forever and my
experience is that they do
>and never ever get out of alignment or develop
rattles.

I aggree. But in those days, lenses were not
categorized into "consumer" and "pro" lenses. Those
who could afford the fast version bought a slower
version of a lens. Both were made according to the
same (high) standard.
Today, the "consumer" is feeded with junk lenses while
the "right stuff" has become excessively expensive
considering the prices from the eighteens.

Alexander