Max, I just today got an e-mail from the Pentax corporation confirming my observations--they said that the camera assumed the flash is the primary light source and the one the photographer would want to be able to adjust--and I think they are right, I just don't understand why they would leave this out of there manuals. I tested this by putting my cameras (both the MZ-S and ZX5-N) on a tripod and attatching and unattatching the flash unit while moving the exposure compensation dial. The data imprinting from the MZ-S on a roll of flash lit portraits also confirms that the apperature and shutter were not altered despite changing the exposure compensation dial in program mode. I tried all 3 automatic modes, as well, with the same result. This is great--I have control of my fill flash ratios with any flash on the camera, even the pop-up! Why does nobody seem to know this? It seems important if you use a flash and have a pentax?

David

From: "McRae, Max MS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: ZX5-N/MZ-S flash compensation
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:04:14 +1100

David wrote:

I have noticed that on my ZX5-N & MZ-S Camera's, the exposure compensation
dial becomes a flash compensation dial if either the on-camera flash is
popped up or an external flash unit is attatched--that is, setting the
exposure compensation dial no longer changes the camera's shutter speed or
the aperture setting, it only changes the flash output--this is true in
program mode, shutter priority, and aperature priority mode. Pentax does
not include this information in their manuals and from what I understand
this is not how most camera's exp. comp. dials work. Has anyone else
noticed this? I am just looking for some confirmation that I am not crazy.

I think this is a wonderful feature because it in effect allows me to
control the fill flash ratio.

Hmmm, that's very interesting David.
Tell me what you did to test it.

I find it very hard to believe, but would be delighted if it were true.

Max.

EOM

NOTICE - This message and any attached files may contain information that is
confidential and/or subject of legal privilege intended only for use by the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised
that you have received this message in error and that any dissemination,
copying or use of this message or attachment is strictly forbidden, as is
the disclosure of the information therein. If you have received this
message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the
message.