On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, David Willecke wrote:
> leave this out of there manuals.  I tested this by putting my cameras (both
> the MZ-S and ZX5-N) on a tripod and attatching and unattatching the flash
> unit while moving the exposure compensation dial.  The data imprinting from
> the MZ-S on a roll of flash lit portraits also confirms that the apperature
> and shutter were not altered despite changing the exposure compensation dial
> in program mode.  I tried all 3 automatic modes, as well, with the same
> result.

But did you test it out under daylight?  Because the test is meaningless
if done indoors.  When in the dark with flash ready, the shutter speed and
aperture selected by the camera does *not* depend on ambient light in
program modes.  They were preset based on focal length and programmed
modes; that's why adjusting the exposure compensation did not seem to
change anything.  In this circumstances, the exposure compensation dial
does exactly what it is supposed to do - adjusting the flash output as it
is the dominant light source.

You have to do the test in daylight, where flash exposure compensation is
most useful and where you want to adjust the fill flash ratio.  I find it
hard to understand how it could work if what you found was true - as one
may really need exposure compensation adjustment of ambient light
exposure.  You do need two separate adjustment for ambient and flash
exposure to achieve desired fill flash control, as you would in MZ-S/ZX-L
with AF360FGZ.

> This is great--I have control of my fill flash ratios with any
> flash on the camera, even the pop-up!

I am afraid not, judging from the confirmation email you got from Pentax.
Daylight fill flash situation is quite different.   Anyways, test it out
under daylight and see what you find.

> I just don't understand why they would leave this out of there manuals.

Because that's how exposure compensation is expected to work under
programed TTL flash.  Shutter speed and apertures are selected based on
focal length of the lens and the programmed mode, and flash output is
controlled to give proper exposure (which depends on film speed, exposure
compensation, TTL sensor exposure reading).

If it behaves exactly the same in daylight and fill flash situation, I
would be very surprised, as this would be totally unexpected in how
exposure compensation adjustment is supposed to work.

--
--Lawrence Kwan--SMS Info Service/Ringtone Convertor--PGP:finger/www--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.vex.net/~lawrence/ -Key ID:0x6D23F3C4--