maybe I should end all this and just bid 20K on it and keep it all myself...
:)

ppro
-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Brogden [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 1:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: WOW! Check this out!

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Aaron Reynolds wrote:

> I'll join up if you'll take my puny Canuck money.  I want a 50mm f1.2!
> The question is...who decides what's worth what and who gets what?

IMO, the best way to do this would be:

(1) someone steps up and volunteers to coordinate this whole thing.

(2) everyone who wants one or more items e-mails the coordinator off-list
with the highest bid that they would be willing to pay for each item.

(3) if two or more people want an item, it goes to the person who is
willing to spend the most on it.  No rebids, just a one-time highest bid.

(4) if all the items are spoken for, the coordinator addes up the maximum
bid amounts and places that bid (preferably near the end of the auction,
but that's a whole 'nuther thread.)  :)

(5) if one or more of the items are not spoken for, the coordinator can
post that info to the list and see if anyone bites.  if no one does, they
can still bid the total of everyone's maximum bids and see if they win
anyway.  then someone (the coordinator? split equally among the
bidders?) gets a nice freebie.

Whoever wants to step in and manage this thing will have to work out some
sort of reliable payment method, since no one wants to be stuck with a
deadbeat bidder on a sale like this.  :)

Just my thoughts... feel free to argue, adapt or adopt any of them.

chris