[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> But is the upshot of what you're saying that we'll only buy > something new if it's
>better, yet it had better still be
> cheap? If so, then Pentax has got a serious problem on its
> hands....

Mike,

I think price is a big part of the problem.  A bunch of us got ME's when the prices
for Japanese goods were dirt cheap.  They were sending us VCR's and Cameras and
ultimately Autos, and we were sending them paper money!  It was a great time for the
US Consumer, but that time is past!  Now that we have to pay the fair value for these
products, they are much less attractive.  This is expecially true since we have lots
of very good old stuff around.

The camera/lens manufacturers have to give us some new, compelling features to buy.
Big time innovations like the following...
Small 35mm cameras -- Leica
Interchangible lenses -- Leica, Asahiflex
The SLR with WYSIWYG -- Asahiflex, K series, SV's H3's, etc.
Thru the lens metering -- Spotmatic thru KX
Automation linking Aperture/Shutter Speed -- ME at a great $$$
Autofocus
??? what is the next step???

Regards,  Bob S.