Hi Dave: see responses below.

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Kennedy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "PDML" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2002 12:26 AM
Subject: Slide management

> As my slide collection grows, I'm learning that chronological storage
> in slide trays may not be the best solution for finding slides I'm
> looking for quickly.
>
> So. A couple of questions.
>
> 1) What do you use as a storage medium for your slides? Slide trays?
> Metal boxes? Plastic sheets? Other?

A mix I'm afraid.  I started buying slide storage boxes, and getting others
to get them for me, and wound up with a mix of wooden and plastic of all
sorts of shapes and capacities.  it seems no-one continues to make the same
design for very long!  That was when I had all my slides returned mounted:
now I get them cut and sleeved, and so I keep the unmounted frames in
plastic sheets (archival quality, of course).  Many of the less interesting
ones are in the original boxes in which they were returned.

> 2) Do you have a specific numbering/labeling system? How does it work?
> I was trying to do a yyyyrrrff (YearRollFrame) numbering system, but
> I'd like to hear about what you use.

I use a subject classification system, in the form AANNN-NN, and store the
slides accordingly.  I quickly found it easier to find something by subject
than try to remember when I might have taken it.

> 3) Software. Do you use any slide specific s/w? Something that would
> allow a numbering system, and category, and print labels? I was using a
> Thinkdb Tinybyte on my Palm for tracking this, but this is not the
> easiest way to enter lots of data either.

I use my own program, written in the last couple of years, which allows me
to track and find any frame or group of frames, whether digitised or not, by
a number of references (keyword, subject, unique reference, camera, lens or
film used, location, date etc.)  The system will automatically create
records in a searchable database from digitised images, or allow direct data
entry, or loading from an existing text file.

> 4) Anything else
> Keep in mind that this is strickly hobby level, so I'm not going to be
> tracking 1000s of slides/year with this, nor am I able to spend
> hundreds of dollars to do this.

It's a lot easier if you do it a film at a time - I spent yesterday
cataloguing about 40 sheets of negatives from 1998!