Today I received my newest Ebay prey: An excellent F*300/f4.5 ED&IF to replace my FA*300/f4.5 ED&IF.
The advantages of the F* version that I can detect - the built-in hood, which is more convenient than the huge bayonet hood of the FA*
- the removeable tripod mount
- the focusing ring needs a slightly bigger force to turn, and it feels a little bit more directly coupled.
However, the F* lens has one disadvantage, too: To switch from auto focus to manual focus and vice versa, pulling/pushing the ring on the lens is not sufficient, the focus switch on the camera must be operated, too. On the FA* lens, pushing/pulling the focusing ring is sufficient.

Arnold