Mike Johnston wrote:

> You know, I'd just like to say that it's been enjoyable meeting you all and
> talking to you all, and I really enjoyed the PDML while it lasted. I'm sorry
> to see it end. However, I'm sure it WILL end, in the flame war to end all
> flame wars, if you all try to buy $10K worth of cameras and lenses with
> pooled money and then get it all divvied up squarely after the fact. That
> sounds like a perfect recipe for disaster to me--the certain end of many
> virtual friendships....
>
> --Mike

I couldn't agree more. Not that I think anything will happen; there have
been absolutely no offers from anyone to buy any of the equipment listed,
at any price.   Perhaps people were upset that I wasn't offering any way
to apportion savings among people if the total offered price exceeded
the eventual purchase price; perhaps people just aren't interested.

I didn't offer to split the dividends; if I made a bid on that collection
it would be a business transaction, and any profit from selling off the
individual items I didn't want would end up in my pocket.  So would any
loss, of course.   I'd be prepared to discuss a dividend sharing scheme
if the potential recipients would be prepared to share the losses, too.
Unfair?   Of course.  But whose money would be on the line?

But, as I said, I don't think anything will come of this - there isn't
enough interest from PDML members.   Looking a little more closely at
the collection I also note that there is no buyer protection available;
the seller wants negotiable instruments only.  I'd be more than a little
nervous sending that much money in the hopes that I would receive goods,
as advertised, in return.  I'd at least want to use an escrow service.

--
John Francis  [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Silicon Graphics, Inc.
(650)933-8295                        2011 N. Shoreline Blvd. MS 43U-991