On 12/23/02 3:47 AM, Paul Stenquist wrote:

> You might not be. The Mamiya 6x6 is difficult to use, because you're
> seeing everything out of the upper lens, while the lower lens is the
> taking lens. Framing becomes a matter of guesswork until you get used to
> it. And while you will get used to it, it's always an inconvenience.
> Furthermore, because you see everything backwards, some shots, like pans
> for instance, are very difficult.

Ummm, well, I've been working with the Yashica for some time now, and I
haven't had any trouble with the reversed image. I does take a little
experimentation at first, but I'm past that point. I don't think the Mamiya
is different in this regard, and the time I've spent with a Mamiya in the
shop, while hardly exhaustive, doesn't indicate that it's a radical
departure from the Yashica. The essentials are the same. Neither camera
lends itself to "action" shots, but I'm not looking for that anyway.

And there's always a prism viewfinder for those who can't get past the
reversed image:

<http://baierfoto.de/mameng.html>

>> For me, the
>> trouble with the Pentax system is the price of the lenses and accessories.
>> The Mamiya is simply a less expensive system. I personally can't comment on
>> the *quality* delivered by Mamiya glass vs. Pentax glass, however. I'd
>> imagine that the Mamiya is going to get beat in most cases.
>
> Pentax lenses do cost more, but not a lot more. I've paid as little as
> $200 for the 105/2.4 and as much as $550 for the 300/4. But I paid $375
> five or six years ago for a Mamiya 250/6.5. My best buy was the Pentax
> 165/4 leaf shutter, which I purchased like new in box for $375. By the
> way, my 300/4 is much sharper than the Mamiya 250/6.5. No contest.

No doubt. For me, it's a matter of economics vs. patience <g>